Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pink Eye

I haven't heard of "pink eye" or "conjuntivitis" until last Thursday when my little one was experiencing some symptoms. We were watching Barney when he suddenly sneezed. I got up to get his towel to wipe his mouth, when I looked at him, a tear was falling down his left eye. At first I thought he might have sneezed really hard. A few minutes later, I wiped the white mucus from the corner of his left eye and thought that was normal. The next time I looked at him, there was some discharge at the corner of his left eye again. That was when I started to feel that it was not normal for him. The discharge came out every few minutes, from white then I saw it was becoming yellowish-green. I contacted his pediatrician immediately and she asked me to buy Tobradex eye drops. I squeezed a drop on his left eye and was watching him closely after so he won't touch his eye and cause more irritation. Because it was my first time to encounter those symptoms, I turned to google.

I was reading from allaboutvision and I found out there are three (3) types of pink eye, what Jaden had is called Bacterial Conjunctivitis.

  • Viral conjunctivitis. Watery, itchy eyes; sensitivity to light. One or both eyes can be affected. Highly contagious; can be spread by coughing and sneezing.
  • Bacterial conjunctivitis. A sticky, yellow or greenish-yellow discharge in the corner of the eye. In some cases, this discharge can be severe enough to cause the eyelids to be stuck together when you wake up. One or both eyes can be affected. Contagious (usually by direct contact with infected hands or items that have touched the eye).
  • Allergic conjunctivitis. Watery, burning, itchy eyes; often accompanied by stuffiness and a runny nose, and light sensitivity. Both eyes are affected. Not contagious.

The first night Jaden woke up at around 1 am crying so hard. I checked and his eyes are stuck so I wiped it clean. The next morning thank God the discharge lessens. I continued his eye drops and I was really glad that after 2 days the discharge stopped. Now we're back to watching Barney :)

Read more about conjunctivitis HERE, it's symptoms, treatment and more importantly preventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment