Thursday, April 11, 2013

I'm a 90's Kid!

Image Source: www.wallcoo.net


Is this a common sight in your household? Technology is good, it made life easier for everyone of us. It provides knowledge and answers on the tip of our fingers. With just a few taps, we could see other parts of the world, talk to people who are far from us and connect with people from around the world. But with every good things comes a bad effect.

I am a 90's kid. I grew up playing outdoor games and talking with other children. The first time I touched a computer is when I was in high school and the CPU was heavier than me. Internet was a stranger to me then and all I did was use the software Paint and play solitaire. I know.

Now I see kids so attached with technology. Either they are playing an ipad, psp or a touchphone, they seemed to be oblivious of the people around them. Can we still connect to them and teach them things FUN? Fun used to be playing outdoors, running around the yard, rolling in the mud, climbing trees and throwing icky stuff to each other. I feel sad that some kids don't get to experience this. It's our part as parents to make sure our kids remember happy memories from their childhood. High scores and Game overs are not happy memories.

I remember playing hopscotch, do you?

Image Source: www.trininista.blogspot.com

Jumping ropes are used for exercises now, it used to be a lot of fun.

Image Source: www.lsusd.net

The thrill of hiding....

Image Source: www.thealttab.com

Play money was not so famous then, we used candy wrappers as our money in our make believe games.

Image Source: www.stuffpoint.com

I remember my heart beating fast whenever I reach home because my Grandma will be wide-eyed with the state of my clothes. These are only some of the things I do when I was young. There are countless of things to do outdoors and I think we should not rob our kids the chance to experience being young and dirty :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi.
    I am a 70s kid and in that time, computer games were virtually completely unknown.
    If any kid wanted to experience adventures, they had to invent them on their own.
    I remember building my own spaceships, enchanted castles, dungeons with everyday stuff, bringing them to live only with the power of my fantasy.
    I also remember playing outside whenever even a little ray of sun was showing, experiencing the greatest adventures not on a screen, but by myself in real life.
    Children today can´t imagine such a life without fancy toys and technology, which they consider to be 'poor'.
    My opinion is, my life was so much richer and more fulfilling and my powers of creativity and imagination were so much more encouraged, than any computer game could do that today.

    I miss those old times, but I kept my childish self, somewhere deep inside me.

    Greetings from
    Mathias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mathias! Thank you for the comment :)

      I guess we were more creative before because we could entertain ourselves for hours without the help of technology. And yes, our life status are judged by the phone we use and the laptop/tablets we carry around.

      Wish we could share this to kids so they don't miss out on the best things in life :)

      Delete