Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Stephen King's 11/22/63

I was reading Private Oz but I took a detour when I read Stephen King's 11/22/63. A first I was just curious because I have no inkling what took place on that certain date. I was born 1989 and a Filipino citizen so I have very little knowledge of American history. After reading the first chapter of 11/22/63, I got hooked and decided to finish it first and postpone Private Oz, not because it's boring but because 11/22/63's topic is new to me. It is a sort of time travel but only to the same place and time every time. I don't want to put any spoiler so you just have to pick up or download that book and read. Beware, it was not a light read, as most of King's book, 850 pages!!! It took me a week (I only get to read when Jaden is sleeping). The ending was something I have felt would happen but I was expecting something different at the same time. All in all, what I thought at first is that it will be about history and the magic of time travel, turns out to be love story, a sad, tragic one. In every story there's a love story somewhere no matter how insignificant and it brings a little joy to the story :) Enjoy your pound cake and dance because Dancing is Life!

Image Source: www.badassdigest.com
If you had the chance to change the course of history, would you? Would the consequences be what you hoped?

Jake Epping 35 teaches high school English in Lisbon Falls, Maine, and cries reading the brain-damaged janitor's story of childhood Halloween massacre by their drunken father. On his deathbed, pal Al divulges a secret portal to 1958 in his diner back pantry, and enlists Jake to prevent the 11/22/1963 Dallas assassination of American President John F. Kennedy. Under the alias George Amberson, our hero joins the cigarette-hazed full-flavored world of Elvis rock n roll, Negro discrimination, and freeway gas guzzlers without seat belts. Will Jake lurk in impoverished immigrant slums beside troubled loner Lee Harvey Oswald, or share small-town friendliness with beautiful high school librarian Sadie Dunhill, the love of his life?

No comments:

Post a Comment